Skip to main content

Bored? Now what? (Cont.)

Last week, I talked about how I didn't take advantage of extra time in an attempt to influence my future when I knew my employer was not in the best financial and sales health. I'm sure that after reading that, especially with my opening line stating how I've been unemployed since the end of May, many of you are wondering "have you learned from your experience?" Obviously, if I'm unemployed there are things that I could be doing right now to lessen the stress level and more quickly reenter the workforce...

...right?

Last week, Donna Sweidan posed a question on LinkedIn that followed a similar vein. She's currently finishing up a book / DVD set on using LinkedIn effectively for a job search, and wanted some final input. Specifically, her question was:

"What do you do on a daily/weekly basis to maintain your networking momentum? It seems a given today that networking for your job search is as important as exercise is to a healthy lifestyle, but just like so many of us have a hard time keeping up with an exercise routine, I am seeing too many job seekers who tell me that they don't network nearly enough! I think it's pretty clear though, that consistent and strategic networking is probably the most important job search activity a job seeker can be doing in this current market. So, my question to all of you who are doing it successfully: what is your secret? What one or two tips can you share with others that help you maintain your networking mojo? What do you do on a daily or weekly basis to keep the momentum going?"

This, I feel, is a nice segue from last week's topic especially since the landscape has evolved considerably since my previous experience several years ago. So without further ado, here are the things that I have been doing.

Write a blog. I write this weekly blog. To promote it, I use ping.fm (but feel free to use any of a number of similar services) to add a brief, one sentence summary of the blog along with a link to it.

Promote your professional wisdom. I publish (using LinkedIn's Google Presentations application) a 3 slide PowerPoint to my LinkedIn profile when my blog entry is published. It summarizes the blog entry with a plug and a link to the blog on the last slide.

Stay in contact. Every few days, I scan through the network updates on LinkedIn and send 2 or 3 emails to people that I have worked with in the past and with whom I have had limited contact during the past 3 months. The email is typically something innocuous like "I'm just checking in" and is intended to spark a brief conversation that does not necessarily have to have any business relevance.

Get on their radar. I answer questions on LinkedIn, because I know the fact that I answered them will show up in my network's updates.

Just recently, I was asked by a potential employer for 2 managers that I reported to and a contact that was a customer of mine earlier this year at a particular Fortune 100 company. I called up the contact, introduced myself, and asked if they remembered me.

"Of course I do," they replied. "Plus, you seem to be all over LinkedIn."

The fact that I do a lot of stuff on LinkedIn ensures that I stay on people's radar. Couple this with the fact that I have purposefully built my network to be filled (to the greatest extent possible) with people who hold positions of influence, and you can see why the momentum I have maintained is so important.

Another example of the success of a strategy like this came in the form of an email that I sent to a former colleague (see item 3 above). In my email, I asked how he was doing. He responded, "I'm great - thanks. I see you're pretty active [on LinkedIn]." Again, this is a validation of my efforts to stay on people's radar.

Efforts mean little without demonstrable results, correct? After the demise of my position I immediately reached out to my network and consistently contacted them to see if anyone knew of any position that could take advantage of what I've demonstrated over the past number of years. Frequently, the response was similar to the following: "you have exactly the skills and experience that we need...but we have no budget / headcount / etc." However, now that things are turning around - and I won't deny that I feel that a large part of this is due to companies, in advance, deciding to freeze hiring until Q4 of this calendar year, which ended in September - I have seen a noticeable uptick in activity. In fact, I have recently completed interview cycles with 3 companies currently vying for me and am entering the negotiation stage with 1 of those 3.

It remains to be seen what the future holds, but because of my efforts to ensure that I remain relevant I am cautiously optimistic about the weeks ahead.

Popular posts from this blog

"Ni jiang yi yang de hua ma?"

Last week, I wrote about the necessity of having a clear message . Because this topic is so important I decided to follow-up with another entry on this general subject. This week we will approach it from another angle. (For the curious, the title says " Do you speak the same language? " in pinyin, which is a transliterated Mandarin Chinese.) Recently, a good friend of mine (who is Chinese, ironically) and I were playing pool. He had to bank the 8-ball in the pocket to win the game, and since it was an informal game and bank shots are my area of expertise, he asked me for advice. I told him, "you just need to strike the cue ball with medium speed so that it hits the 8-ball right in the middle." He didn't believe me so we marked the positions of the balls, and then he took his shot only to watch the 8-ball sail past the pocket. "A-ha!" he exclaimed. "I told you it wasn't that easy." But when we reset the positions and I made an attemp

It's Easier to Fail at DevOps than it is to Succeed

Slippery when wet Since the term DevOps was coined in Belgium back in 2009, it is impossible to avoid the term whether in discussions with colleagues or in professional trade magazines.  And during the years while this movement has gained momentum, many things have been written to describe what elements of a DevOps strategy are required for it to be successful. Yet in spite of this, there is an interesting data point worth noting: not many organizations feel there is a need for DevOps.  In a Gartner report entitled DevOps Adoption Survey Results (published in September 2015),  40%  of respondents said they had no plans to implement DevOps and 31% of respondents said they hadn't implemented it but planned to start in the 12 months after the survey was conducted. That left only 29% who had implemented DevOps in a pilot project or in production systems, which isn't a lot. "Maybe it's because there truly isn't a need for DevOps," you say.  While that

Is No/Low-Code the Key to IT Nirvana?

 Unless you've had your head in the sand for the past year or so, you've seen the phrases low-code  and no-code  bandied about quite frequently everywhere you look.  You've probably wondered if this is something new that's here to stay or just a "flash in the pan."  Although the terms have been in the fore of the IT trade publications recently, Low Code Development Platforms (LCDP) (and the corresponding No Code Development Platforms) have been in existence since 2011.  Their roots can be traced to the 90's with 4th generation programming languages and GUI-assisted programming paradigms, e.g. IBM VisualAge for Basic, which was discontinued in 1998. For those of you who aren't familiar with either, the premise is that these platforms allow someone to quickly build applications using a WYSIWYG interface and a "click and configure" paradigm to Isn't this the source code to Roblox? rapidly build full applications with little or no coding requ