Skip to main content

Customer Focused

Lately, I've been looking at the finer details of people's experience, especially those who are in senior positions within their respective companies. After noticing a lot of MBAs in the group I asked Tom Schodorf, who is the former General Manager of BMC's Services Delivery business unit and now has his own executive consulting company, what work experience or other tangible credentials / certifications a CEO needed to have to be successful. His response was insightful:

"Very few things sharpen the senses more about the needs of your customers than having a quota and selling the product quarter after quarter. Experience in sales and marketing as an individual contributor and in management helps you understand nearly every facet of your own business as well and is very valuable experience for future CEO's."

If I may summarize the first point it is "be customer focused." I would argue that this is not only necessary for a CEO to be successful but that it applies to the entire company in general. Some examples of this are listed below:

"Editor in Chef"

In a previous life, I published a magazine for several years that was aimed at the OS/2 development community. (Yes, I'm dating myself.) Early on, I recognized the need for business cards since I was fully expecting to attend trade shows and report back on trends in the marketplace that were relevant to my readers.

I worked with a printer to design an appropriate card for myself (and my columnists); placed my order with them; and waited for the cards to arrive. When they finally did arrive, a glaring error caught my attention. Instead of being listed as the Editor in Chief, I was the Editor in Chef. (Food Network, here I come!)

I called the printer and explained the situation to them. Realizing that the PC Expo in NYC was only 2 days away, they rushed a corrected print job and hand delivered the cards to my doorstep in spite of the fact that I lived 30 minutes away by car.

The Free Upgrade

In 2008, I purchased one of the most amazing pieces of music software I have ever owned: Celemony's Melodyne pitch correction plug-in for Steinberg's Cubase music production system. Unfortunately, I was unable to install it for just over a month, which wouldn't have been a problem except for one thing: soon after I did install it, they announced a free upgrade to a new version that had mind blowing features. The catch? You had to have registered it before a certain date.

I had registered mine less than a week after the deadline even though I had owned it for several weeks already. "Not a problem," said Celemony's user support team. They said they would honor the free upgrade for me in spite of the late registration.

The point that I'm trying to bring up is that companies these days have the power to define their relationships with their customers, whether those customers are the individuals like myself or huge companies like the global financial services companies. And with the lightning fast speed that information is disseminated over the Internet, the perception that their customers have regarding the relationship and the degree of importance that suppliers place on that relationship can be communicated to a vast audience in relatively short order.

Can this actually have an effect on a company's bottom line? Absolutely. Consider the following example:

In early November of last year I became aware of a stalled sales opportunity at a large insurance company. They already owned some of our software, but we were trying to sell two new sets of technology to them that we knew would have large repercussions on their effectiveness as a company. Unfortunately, due to the corporate culture there, the new technology was undergoing a review that was more rigorous than was probably necessary.

I already had a strong existing relationship with the Economic Buyer there, which I leveraged to not only broker a meeting between the Sales Manager and him but ensure that the necessary information was extracted from the meeting to put together a very aggressive close plan. The result? A deal was closed within 4 weeks of the meeting that was worth over USD$1mm in revenue.

Would the deal have closed without my involvement? Undoubtedly. The Sales Manager was very good. But unfortunately he had not yet met the Economic Buyer so there was a long road ahead of him before he would reach his goal. My involvement wasn't critical but because of it the deal closed by the end of the calendar year, which coincidentally was the end of the purchaser's budget cycle.

Relationships can indeed be a deciding factor in your business. Build and foster them with the decision makers in your own company or in your customers' companies and watch your success grow.

Popular posts from this blog

"Ni jiang yi yang de hua ma?"

Last week, I wrote about the necessity of having a clear message . Because this topic is so important I decided to follow-up with another entry on this general subject. This week we will approach it from another angle. (For the curious, the title says " Do you speak the same language? " in pinyin, which is a transliterated Mandarin Chinese.) Recently, a good friend of mine (who is Chinese, ironically) and I were playing pool. He had to bank the 8-ball in the pocket to win the game, and since it was an informal game and bank shots are my area of expertise, he asked me for advice. I told him, "you just need to strike the cue ball with medium speed so that it hits the 8-ball right in the middle." He didn't believe me so we marked the positions of the balls, and then he took his shot only to watch the 8-ball sail past the pocket. "A-ha!" he exclaimed. "I told you it wasn't that easy." But when we reset the positions and I made an attemp

It's Easier to Fail at DevOps than it is to Succeed

Slippery when wet Since the term DevOps was coined in Belgium back in 2009, it is impossible to avoid the term whether in discussions with colleagues or in professional trade magazines.  And during the years while this movement has gained momentum, many things have been written to describe what elements of a DevOps strategy are required for it to be successful. Yet in spite of this, there is an interesting data point worth noting: not many organizations feel there is a need for DevOps.  In a Gartner report entitled DevOps Adoption Survey Results (published in September 2015),  40%  of respondents said they had no plans to implement DevOps and 31% of respondents said they hadn't implemented it but planned to start in the 12 months after the survey was conducted. That left only 29% who had implemented DevOps in a pilot project or in production systems, which isn't a lot. "Maybe it's because there truly isn't a need for DevOps," you say.  While that

Is No/Low-Code the Key to IT Nirvana?

 Unless you've had your head in the sand for the past year or so, you've seen the phrases low-code  and no-code  bandied about quite frequently everywhere you look.  You've probably wondered if this is something new that's here to stay or just a "flash in the pan."  Although the terms have been in the fore of the IT trade publications recently, Low Code Development Platforms (LCDP) (and the corresponding No Code Development Platforms) have been in existence since 2011.  Their roots can be traced to the 90's with 4th generation programming languages and GUI-assisted programming paradigms, e.g. IBM VisualAge for Basic, which was discontinued in 1998. For those of you who aren't familiar with either, the premise is that these platforms allow someone to quickly build applications using a WYSIWYG interface and a "click and configure" paradigm to Isn't this the source code to Roblox? rapidly build full applications with little or no coding requ