Skip to main content

What's in your network?

I once posed the following question on a LinkedIn discussion group: "what is the point of having a network of 1,000 people or so?" What ensued was a segregation of people into two groups of people that strongly believed in their answer.

On one side were the people that felt casting the widest net was the best option. Not only that, but one can always help others in need since you will undoubtedly have someone in your network that is able to assist.

On the other side were the people that felt having members of their network that knew them personally ensured that the network had value in its own right since your endorsement carried more weight. After all, they reasoned, everyone in the network has (theoretically) seen first hand what you can do so there is value in your word as a professional.

Regardless of your opinion one thing is true: staying on the radar of everyone in your network is crucial for continued success and career movement. This isn't fashion where "one day you're in and the next you're out." (Sorry Heidi.) It actually requires effort (or a lack thereof) to have people forget about you, but once they do it takes 10x the effort to get them to remember you again.

Consider the following: when I was younger, I had a good friend who was a technical writer at IBM. I stopped calling them for over a year, but one day I needed the contact information from another person I knew at IBM. So I called them up and asked for the information. I could almost see the distaste on that person's face as they told me they couldn't find what I needed. I never called them again because there was definitely an air of hostility - "how come I only hear from you when you need something?" - in that person's voice.

But stay on everyone's network, and the result looks like this: at one point in my career I was told that I was to be affected by a 45% reduction in force. Because I had stayed in close contact with my network, I was able to reach out to them and secure 8 interviews within the first 2 weeks.

What is "staying in close contact?" Is it every week? Month? Quarter? Year? And is it acceptable to email them or is phone required? Your mileage may vary, but the guideline I have always used is to reach out once every quarter via email to give them an update on my life and ask them how they are doing. And it seems to have worked for me in the past, so I'm not going to change what isn't broken.

Putting your network to work for you in a pinch can be a real lifesaver. Like an automobile, it needs regular maintenance and some general TLC. But there's no better way to get from point A to point B in your professional life than driving down the interstate of your career with the top down, the radio blaring, and your network in the seat beside you.

Popular posts from this blog

"Ni jiang yi yang de hua ma?"

Last week, I wrote about the necessity of having a clear message . Because this topic is so important I decided to follow-up with another entry on this general subject. This week we will approach it from another angle. (For the curious, the title says " Do you speak the same language? " in pinyin, which is a transliterated Mandarin Chinese.) Recently, a good friend of mine (who is Chinese, ironically) and I were playing pool. He had to bank the 8-ball in the pocket to win the game, and since it was an informal game and bank shots are my area of expertise, he asked me for advice. I told him, "you just need to strike the cue ball with medium speed so that it hits the 8-ball right in the middle." He didn't believe me so we marked the positions of the balls, and then he took his shot only to watch the 8-ball sail past the pocket. "A-ha!" he exclaimed. "I told you it wasn't that easy." But when we reset the positions and I made an attemp

It's Easier to Fail at DevOps than it is to Succeed

Slippery when wet Since the term DevOps was coined in Belgium back in 2009, it is impossible to avoid the term whether in discussions with colleagues or in professional trade magazines.  And during the years while this movement has gained momentum, many things have been written to describe what elements of a DevOps strategy are required for it to be successful. Yet in spite of this, there is an interesting data point worth noting: not many organizations feel there is a need for DevOps.  In a Gartner report entitled DevOps Adoption Survey Results (published in September 2015),  40%  of respondents said they had no plans to implement DevOps and 31% of respondents said they hadn't implemented it but planned to start in the 12 months after the survey was conducted. That left only 29% who had implemented DevOps in a pilot project or in production systems, which isn't a lot. "Maybe it's because there truly isn't a need for DevOps," you say.  While that

Is No/Low-Code the Key to IT Nirvana?

 Unless you've had your head in the sand for the past year or so, you've seen the phrases low-code  and no-code  bandied about quite frequently everywhere you look.  You've probably wondered if this is something new that's here to stay or just a "flash in the pan."  Although the terms have been in the fore of the IT trade publications recently, Low Code Development Platforms (LCDP) (and the corresponding No Code Development Platforms) have been in existence since 2011.  Their roots can be traced to the 90's with 4th generation programming languages and GUI-assisted programming paradigms, e.g. IBM VisualAge for Basic, which was discontinued in 1998. For those of you who aren't familiar with either, the premise is that these platforms allow someone to quickly build applications using a WYSIWYG interface and a "click and configure" paradigm to Isn't this the source code to Roblox? rapidly build full applications with little or no coding requ