Skip to main content

COSMIC Insights


Consider the following scenario:  you're a mid-level manager and find out that a layoff is coming.  You're about too lose one of your best direct reports, but you have no ability to influence the decision to lay them off.

Oy! My head hurts!
What do you do?

Oftentimes, I find that people - when presented with situations where they feel compelled to act but have no ability to change the outcome - enter a state of mental lethargy.  They don't know exactly what it is they should do but, "gosh darnit!", something has to be done.  When they realize how helpless they actually are, they start lamenting about the situation, how they are backed into a corner, etc.

In a very real sense, they go through the five stages of grief.

I'd like to offer the following alternative way of approaching these and other situations:  I call it the COSMIC method, not only because it sounds cool but also because I like science fiction ("Lisan al Gaib!").

COSMIC is an acronym for control the situation and mitigate the impact.  Many times, complex situations will have components that you can control and some that you cannot.  Identifying what goes in which of these two buckets will allow you to more effectively formulate a response that addresses the situation in a positive way.

For each of the following situations, ask yourself how you would react:

  1. A coworker asks you for help with something late in the evening on a Friday of a holiday three-day weekend and gets upset when you are unable to assist.
  2. You're about to walk into a meeting with someone that has historically had a very negative relationship with the company for whom you work.
  3. Due to corporate politics, a former coworker now in a leadership position puts you on a PIP for fabricated reasons.

All of these situations happened to me at one point.  In each of these, the temptation to just throw up your hands and say "there's nothing I can do!" is strong.  But if you examine each of these from the COSMIC perspective, you'll easily be able to separate out what is controllable and what isn't.

Let's see how I applied COSMIC to each situation.

The Long Weekend

For the first situation, I was very patient with the coworker in question; acknowledged that they've been under a lot of stress recently; pointed out that our working relationship had changed over the past month; and asked if I had done something to upset them.  Then, to kill them with kindness, I sent a small gift card to their favorite coffee shop.  I couldn't control how they felt, but I mitigated the impact of their emotion-based response by leading with empathy.  I showed compassion for the situation, which (if I'm being honest) was easy to do because I genuinely liked working with the person.

The Burned Relationship

For the second situation, we were told in our first meeting with the CTO, "I realize it's not your fault but because of [historical context] yours is the first company I've considered initiating litigation against."  That put my colleagues and I on the back foot immediately, but we controlled the situation by understanding what their current points of friction were and taking all steps possible to resolve those with expediency.  We couldn't control their feelings, but we could control the actions we took to change the relationship in a positive way.  (Even better, our efforts were so successful that, six weeks later, we closed a mid-six-figure deal with them.)

The Targeted Criticism

For the final situation, I recognized that I could not undo the process that had been started with Human Resources.  This was especially maddening because the Global Head of Human Resources told me that, in 20 years, they could count on one hand the number of times a situation similar to mine had occurred and agreed that something didn't add up (but couldn't change it because protocols had to be followed).  I couldn't control the situation, but I was able to mitigate the impact by doubling down on the quality of my work.  And, in spite of being kept on a Performance Improvement Plan for a full five months - they really wanted me out! - they ultimately had to acknowledge that they had no reason to implement it in the first place and eventually took me off.  (I gave notice the day after I was told I was off of the plan.)

In Summary

In your professional life you will always have things you can control and things that you cannot control.  For the things you can, take whatever actions are needed to positively influence the outcome.  But there will always be more aspects of any situation where you are not able to control anything.  What do you do?  You then anticipate the outcomes for these parts of the situation and take steps to minimize the negative impact of those parts.  By doing this, you'll have a greater ability to arrive at a net positive result overall.


Popular posts from this blog

It's Easier to Fail at DevOps than it is to Succeed

Slippery when wet Since the term DevOps was coined in Belgium back in 2009, it is impossible to avoid the term whether in discussions with colleagues or in professional trade magazines.  And during the years while this movement has gained momentum, many things have been written to describe what elements of a DevOps strategy are required for it to be successful. Yet in spite of this, there is an interesting data point worth noting: not many organizations feel there is a need for DevOps.  In a Gartner report entitled DevOps Adoption Survey Results (published in September 2015),  40%  of respondents said they had no plans to implement DevOps and 31% of respondents said they hadn't implemented it but planned to start in the 12 months after the survey was conducted. That left only 29% who had implemented DevOps in a pilot project or in production systems, which isn't a lot. "Maybe it's because there truly isn't a need for DevOps," you say.  While that

Application Development Done Right

In a previous article, entitled DevOps as the Ultimate Panacea? , I described how developing code without thinking about the current needs of the end user as well as the future needs once they've become accustomed to using your application ends up not only frustrating them but also can result in customer churn and ultimately lower revenues.  In this article, I'd like to describe something simple that I came across today that shows a definite degree of effort to do quite the opposite. Recently, we had a severe snowstorm, one with blizzard-like conditions, which is unheard of in central New Jersey.  Being responsible adults, my wife and I went to the grocery store to stock up on essentials (read:  chips, chocolate, etc.) in case we get stuck at home. As we were ringing up our order, the cashier mentioned to us that the store has a mobile application.  Since both of us are in technology oriented professions, we were skeptical about the need for a grocery store mobile applica

#FailOps

Many years ago, Oleg Vishnepolsky and I worked together at IBM's T. J. Watson Research Center on the OS/2 1.1 port of the TCP/IP protocol stack.  Recently, I had a conversation with Oleg, who is currently the CTO at The Daily Mail Online, about DevOps and how it seems companies miss the whole point of what DevOps promotes.  During our conversation (via email), it came out that he was of the opinion that DevOps is not a successful paradigm to follow and asked me for my thoughts on the matter.  I decided (with his permission) to publish the conversation because it seems that a lot of people are of a similar mind when it comes to DevOps (just as there were similar attitudes when the OGC released ITIL in the late 1980's), and while I do agree that many companies are not seeing the benefits of DevOps that it is supposed to bring to an organization, I don't believe that the problem is with the paradigm.  Hopefully, my answers to Oleg will not only clarify why DevOps is import