Skip to main content

Follow Through

As a young kid growing up in a small town, one of the very few things to do was join a bowling league.  My father, who has been bowling his entire life, used to coach me about the importance of following through your shot.  In a nutshell, the idea is that you aren't finished once you let go of the bowling ball and it's the act of continuing with the swing of your arm that increases the consistency of the shot and ultimately the score of your game.

Professionally, the same is true.  Recently, I met the EVP of Corporate Strategy for CA Technologies, Jacob Lamm, for the first time in an executive briefing for one of our customers.  I introduced myself, and we chatted briefly.  In essence, I let go of the proverbial bowling ball.  And, following my father's advice, I sent him an email the moment he finished speaking and left the room.  In that email I described how I had been recommended by another executive for a position in his organization recently and, if he had a few moments, I'd love to sit down with him over coffee or tea to just chat. Because I had just met him, he remembered me easily and replied the following morning with an offer to do just that.  I now have a 30 minute timeslot in mid-October to talk with him.

(Incidentally, I met the other executive in much the same way.  He was conducting an internal webinar; I asked a question during the Q&A that resulted in some good discussion; and I followed through with an email as soon as the call was finished.)

Will I "just chat?"  Last month, there was a great article in Business Insider about an intern who scored a meeting with CEO Jeff Weiner.  As the story goes, VP Steve Johnson had said in a speaker series to a group of interns that you need to be prepared with a question you'd like a CEO to answer in the event that you ever get a meeting.  Similarly, I intend to be prepared before I walk in Jacob's office.  I will be reaching out to the other executive that I named in that email to see if Jacob reached out to him.  I will be looking into his background to see where my experience and skills mesh with his.  If I cannot find some overlap in our professional backgrounds or some similar reason to want to speak with him then those 30 minutes will be quite awkward.

This same type of activity applies whether you are simply trying to expand your network or doing other things like look for a new job.  I introduced a friend of mine, recently unemployed due to a Reduction In Force at her previous job that resulted in several management positions (including hers) being eliminated, to several executives that would benefit from having a conversation with her at the very least.  To her credit, she did not want to pester them by emailing them just because they didn't respond immediately.  I had to point out, however, that executives are busy and if you do not follow through then you run the risk of either that introduction getting lost in the busy-ness of each day or they would think you weren't interested.

In the interest of contrast (and at the risk of sounding condescending, which is quite the opposite of my intention), I received my first job out of college in the most prestigious place to work at that time for Computer Science graduates (according to a poll of graduate students at the top Computer Science school in the country at that time, Carnegie Mellon University) because of follow through.  As it happens, I was looking for a place to work while at college in SC and reached out to my future boss (based in NY).  His intention was to fly me up for an interview to see if I would be a good fit, but after several emails back and forth he told me that his request for expense reimbursement to pay for the trip was finally rejected.

However, he said that he was quite impressed with my determination and my refusal to let something go on its own and offered me the job anyway.  That is why I mentioned the ranking of that IBM location - getting a job there should have been impossible but you can make the impossible possible!  (To this day, he still says that my tenacity and intention to follow through to completion is the quality that he remembers most.)

People remember you for the impression you leave.  If that impression is that you left no impression, people will forget or, worse, remember that you left no impression.  "Luck favors the prepared," it is true, but if you don't have a reason to be prepared in the first place then there's no luck to be found.  Instead, you have to make your own luck by seizing opportunities as they present themselves even if they don't appear to be an opportunity to begin with.

Popular posts from this blog

"Ni jiang yi yang de hua ma?"

Last week, I wrote about the necessity of having a clear message . Because this topic is so important I decided to follow-up with another entry on this general subject. This week we will approach it from another angle. (For the curious, the title says " Do you speak the same language? " in pinyin, which is a transliterated Mandarin Chinese.) Recently, a good friend of mine (who is Chinese, ironically) and I were playing pool. He had to bank the 8-ball in the pocket to win the game, and since it was an informal game and bank shots are my area of expertise, he asked me for advice. I told him, "you just need to strike the cue ball with medium speed so that it hits the 8-ball right in the middle." He didn't believe me so we marked the positions of the balls, and then he took his shot only to watch the 8-ball sail past the pocket. "A-ha!" he exclaimed. "I told you it wasn't that easy." But when we reset the positions and I made an attemp

It's Easier to Fail at DevOps than it is to Succeed

Slippery when wet Since the term DevOps was coined in Belgium back in 2009, it is impossible to avoid the term whether in discussions with colleagues or in professional trade magazines.  And during the years while this movement has gained momentum, many things have been written to describe what elements of a DevOps strategy are required for it to be successful. Yet in spite of this, there is an interesting data point worth noting: not many organizations feel there is a need for DevOps.  In a Gartner report entitled DevOps Adoption Survey Results (published in September 2015),  40%  of respondents said they had no plans to implement DevOps and 31% of respondents said they hadn't implemented it but planned to start in the 12 months after the survey was conducted. That left only 29% who had implemented DevOps in a pilot project or in production systems, which isn't a lot. "Maybe it's because there truly isn't a need for DevOps," you say.  While that

Is No/Low-Code the Key to IT Nirvana?

 Unless you've had your head in the sand for the past year or so, you've seen the phrases low-code  and no-code  bandied about quite frequently everywhere you look.  You've probably wondered if this is something new that's here to stay or just a "flash in the pan."  Although the terms have been in the fore of the IT trade publications recently, Low Code Development Platforms (LCDP) (and the corresponding No Code Development Platforms) have been in existence since 2011.  Their roots can be traced to the 90's with 4th generation programming languages and GUI-assisted programming paradigms, e.g. IBM VisualAge for Basic, which was discontinued in 1998. For those of you who aren't familiar with either, the premise is that these platforms allow someone to quickly build applications using a WYSIWYG interface and a "click and configure" paradigm to Isn't this the source code to Roblox? rapidly build full applications with little or no coding requ