Skip to main content

Who are you?

I'm writing this from the lobby of a Hilton hotel in Toronto where I have been staying while I conducted meetings with a prominent Canadian bank.  Last night after a 13 hour day, I met a most amazing individual in the hotel bar.  The CEO of a successful consulting firm, his area of specialty is in the psychology of human behavior especially within the confines of a corporate setting.

After a night's worth of very interesting, intellectual, and "i"ntertaining discussion with him and the others who were sitting at the bar with us I had the opportunity to speak with him one on one about my personal career ambitions.  During this he asked me a seemingly simple question:  "who are you?"

I was taken aback.  "Who am I?" I thought.  "I'm Larry." "I'm a technologist whose name is on the cover of two programming books." "I'm a musician."  I finally answered that I am a "business strategist" but that answer was hollow because I finally realized that what he was asking was "what is your core value that no one else can do as well as you?"

Several years ago, the CEO of BMC Software, Bob Beauchamp, told me something similar.  During a unique opportunity to have a 20 minute intimate conversation with him, I asked him how he became CEO.  His response was twofold:

Be the authority. People finally got tired of hearing secondhand what he was saying and instead started inviting him to the important meetings to hear it directly from him.  That gave him the visibility into the senior ranks of management.

Be the best. He understood where he excelled in business and nurtured that to the point that he was the only person that provided the value that he did.  "Pick an area that interests you and be the best that anyone can be in that area" was the way he described it.  This is why people were seeking to hear his thoughts on matters of business, first in a secondhand fashion and then as the primary deliverer.

While I took Mr. Beauchamp's advice as a call to action, I failed to see the larger significance of what he was saying.  This led me to respond in a tactical sense, striving to check the boxes of both parts of his response.  But the greater guidance for me as a professional was overlooked until last night when that simple, three word question was asked.

"Who are you?"

I now realize that my greatest value is as an information broker and analyst.  The true value is revealed when this core competency is coupled with a business context.  Do you need to develop a 3-5 business strategy?  I'm fully aware of business trends especially as they are impacted by technology that will allow you to determine the future direction of your company.  Do you need to re-engineer a failing process?  I can dissect its current state, develop metrics to measure improvement, identify broken linkages and deadlocks, and finally devise ways around them.  Do you need to evaluate corporate projects at the PMO level? I can quantify the impact of each project by defining measurable success criteria, allowing you to shepherd the process from design through implementation.

This has been an eye opener for me, and I challenge the reader to truly understand the answer to that simple question.  What is your strength?  What application does it have in your professional and personal life?  How can you emphasize your ability to impact both by playing to those strengths (and, of course, recognizing your weaknesses and mitigating their impact)?

Popular posts from this blog

"Ni jiang yi yang de hua ma?"

Last week, I wrote about the necessity of having a clear message . Because this topic is so important I decided to follow-up with another entry on this general subject. This week we will approach it from another angle. (For the curious, the title says " Do you speak the same language? " in pinyin, which is a transliterated Mandarin Chinese.) Recently, a good friend of mine (who is Chinese, ironically) and I were playing pool. He had to bank the 8-ball in the pocket to win the game, and since it was an informal game and bank shots are my area of expertise, he asked me for advice. I told him, "you just need to strike the cue ball with medium speed so that it hits the 8-ball right in the middle." He didn't believe me so we marked the positions of the balls, and then he took his shot only to watch the 8-ball sail past the pocket. "A-ha!" he exclaimed. "I told you it wasn't that easy." But when we reset the positions and I made an attemp

It's Easier to Fail at DevOps than it is to Succeed

Slippery when wet Since the term DevOps was coined in Belgium back in 2009, it is impossible to avoid the term whether in discussions with colleagues or in professional trade magazines.  And during the years while this movement has gained momentum, many things have been written to describe what elements of a DevOps strategy are required for it to be successful. Yet in spite of this, there is an interesting data point worth noting: not many organizations feel there is a need for DevOps.  In a Gartner report entitled DevOps Adoption Survey Results (published in September 2015),  40%  of respondents said they had no plans to implement DevOps and 31% of respondents said they hadn't implemented it but planned to start in the 12 months after the survey was conducted. That left only 29% who had implemented DevOps in a pilot project or in production systems, which isn't a lot. "Maybe it's because there truly isn't a need for DevOps," you say.  While that

Is No/Low-Code the Key to IT Nirvana?

 Unless you've had your head in the sand for the past year or so, you've seen the phrases low-code  and no-code  bandied about quite frequently everywhere you look.  You've probably wondered if this is something new that's here to stay or just a "flash in the pan."  Although the terms have been in the fore of the IT trade publications recently, Low Code Development Platforms (LCDP) (and the corresponding No Code Development Platforms) have been in existence since 2011.  Their roots can be traced to the 90's with 4th generation programming languages and GUI-assisted programming paradigms, e.g. IBM VisualAge for Basic, which was discontinued in 1998. For those of you who aren't familiar with either, the premise is that these platforms allow someone to quickly build applications using a WYSIWYG interface and a "click and configure" paradigm to Isn't this the source code to Roblox? rapidly build full applications with little or no coding requ